Enjoying Life With Limited Mobility | Executive Care of Great Neck
Whether temporary or permanent, mobility issues can put a cramp in your loved one’s lifestyle. Fortunately, that doesn’t have to remain the case!
U.S. Census numbers report 47 million seniors living in our country, and this means that there are plenty of mobility issues being experienced. According to a survey in 2014, 40% of those 65 and older have at least one disability. Some two-thirds admitted to having issues with walking or climbing.
Just because your loved one has limited mobility doesn’t mean enjoying life to the fullest has to stop.
Fun Activities for Those With Limited Mobility
Mobility issues can be brought on by things like arthritis, stroke and other injuries.
Your loved one can turn the focus from mobility issues to getting back to fun with these ideas:
- Scrapbooking. There’s nothing better than putting old family photos into some creative scrapbooks. Your loved one will enjoy reliving those memories of old, and you can enjoy hearing some fun stories from the past.
- The great outdoors. We all love the boost being outdoors can provide, and elderly can be no different. Make sure your loved one is enjoying the warm summer months from shaded areas and isn’t overheating.
- Exercise options. Your loved one can enjoy chair exercises, chair yoga and even focus on balance through walker exercises. Limited mobility does not mean the end of exercise.
- Bingo. Bingo is not only a way to get out of the house and have some fun, but it also serves as a form of socialization. Quite the winning combo!
- Embracing the creative side. Breaking out some activities like painting, drawing, sculpting and more can not only influence your loved one’s creative side, but actually help him or her fight back feelings of depression and anxiety.
As you can see, limited mobility does not have to be the end of your loved one’s fun. Instead, simple adjustments just need to be made.
Know that Executive Care of Great Neck is always ready to step in and help make sure your loved one is leading the life he or she wants and deserves, right in the comfort of home. Don’t hesitate to contact us to learn more about our in-home care services.